The Ridge Route, from State 138 to Templin Highway is now under a Forest Closure Order due to the Lake Fire, which is set to expire on December 31, 2020. As such, travel along the roadway and any activities along it are prohibited. Please take heed of this as the fines can be pretty steep.
For further information and specific details, please use the link below.
So, in trying to promote our group and increase awareness, I have created a new Instagram account for the RRPO. While our site will be the method for distributing information, our Instagram account will be used for photos of the road, our events, and anything related to the Ridge Route specifically. I recommend checking it out!
Currently, the Lake Fire is at 31,089 acres and 70% containment. Unless something dramatically changes, it looks like the Ridge Route will be safe from this fire. There is, however, another issue which we will have to clarify with the USFS. The area is now under a Forest Closure Order, which is set to expire at the end of December 2020. As such, the roadway and any activities along it may be prohibited. For further information, please use the link below.
As I am sure some of you are aware, there is a large fire burning in the mountains near Lake Hughes. This fire has been slowly burning west toward the Ridge Route. Whether or not it reaches the road remains to be seen, but hopefully it does not for many reasons.
Should the hills around the road burn, it would dramatically increase the chances for mudflows and debris covering or damaging the roadway. At a time when maintenance is at a low, this would not be good. There are also items of historic value that are flammable in the vicinity of Sandberg, which would also be preferable not to burn or otherwise be destroyed. The historic Knapp Ranch is also at risk and the fire is slowly getting close to it.
We have been monitoring the situation and will survey the area once the fire is over. Presently, the Ridge Route is closed from State 138 to Pine Canyon Road due to the fire as are other roadways in the area.
For updated information on the fire, visit the USFS Inciweb site.
Not much to report. I recently sent a letter to the Angeles National Forest, which we have confirmation they received, to get more information about ongoing issues.
Two of the issues were regarding the gates. Now, as has been stated here many times, we want them open. While we have keys, we don’t really want to “need” them. However, with the gates being left open by others or being damaged, it tends to hurt our cause more than help. If the gates are open when they aren’t planned to be, why help to open them?
There is also the issue with a section of roadway being undermined by a So Cal Gas pipeline. We have brought this to the attention of the Forest Service and are hoping they will be able to get the company at issue to resolve the problem, all without damaging the paving at that location. A potential funding mechanism for continued maintenance of the roadway is also going to be discussed. We hope that this may resolve many of the problems that seem to keep the Forest Service from opening the roadway officially.
Once we hear something more solid, I will give an update here. Until then, we shall continue to monitor the road when possible and keep pushing the Forest Service to open the roadway to motor vehicles. The Ridge Route is a treasure that must be kept in good repair and able to be enjoyed by all.
So far, Summer 2020 isn’t shaping up to be what, well, many of us hoped it would be. Things are still moving at least, just a bit slower. We are still working with the USFS to get repairs done and get the utility companies to repair any damage to the roadway they have caused.
In late June, a group of board members took a trip over the Ridge Route from Castaic to Gorman to assess the roadway. To be honest, there was a lot of good news along the roadway to be had. Since the last of the major winter storms have passed, it looks like the roadway has not suffered any major damage. Most of the roadway, with little exception, was easily traversable by a standard automobile. Some sections needed a bit more maneuvering but were still quite manageable.
The date for our next CUTRR event is still unknown. We are presently waiting for the USFS to give us the green light for volunteer events. As it stands, August is likely out for sure. We hope to have something done before the rains begin, but we shall see.
Other ongoing projects include getting the roadway opened, replacing the signage at the markers, and setting up a YouTube channel are progressing, just slowly. The markers won’t be replaced until the roadway is opened. Funding for opening and maintaining the roadway is still unknown at present. The current crisis, health and budgetary, may well impact this more than we’d like. I feel it only delays it. We will push for legislation to force the roadway to be opened if need be.
The gates are still closed and locked. If you find a gate open, do not expect the other to be open. Travel is still restricted to non-motorized travel beyond the gates.
While we don’t have an event date set yet, we are hoping we will be able to hold a work party (Clean Up The Ridge Route or CUTRR) late August or September. I’d like earlier, but summer heat makes it tougher and it is a lot of work in the exposed sunshine.
If you’d like to help or stay informed, not just regarding events like CUTRR but any updates on the Ridge Route, please use the “Subscribe” option on the right-hand side of the site. You’ll be informed any time there is a new post to this site. At this time, we don’t have a separate e-mail list set up, so subscribing is by far the best way to keep in the loop.
Well, June is upon us. Summer is fast approaching. While things have been on hold due to the current situation, we are looking to the near future to restart things. Depending on many factors, we would like to hold a CUTRR event sometime in late August or September. With the coming budget issues all levels of government are going to have, getting the road opened may be a lot more difficult. It doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but only time will tell.
I am hoping to make another inspection run over the road sometime later this month as well. I haven’t seen how the road is doing since the last major storms of the winter season. I suspect that most locations held up fine but there are a few in particular (one near the south end of Reservoir Summit grade) that I will look into in more detail.
Not much else to report so far, though. I am working on updating and adding more information to this site in my spare time. So far, I’ve been working on a few pages that focus on our current projects and goals. Keep watching the site for more updates!
Thank you all for your continued support and interest. We look forward to seeing you out on the road at one of our CUTRR events in the near future!
Since we can’t go on the road, at least for now, why not see it through photos? I have a large collection of photos I’ve taken of the road over the years and love to share. Tell us what your favorite point on the Ridge Route is? Mine is the section between Reservoir Summit and the Tumble Inn. It has some of the best concrete and views along the entire road. It is also far away from any other road, allowing for the ability to just stop and relax, hearing nothing but nature.
Due to the ongoing crisis, our events are on hold. We will resume our Clean Up The Ridge Route (CUTRR) events once things settle down. Hopefully, we can have one before the summer heat arrives. Our Ridge Route inspections will still continue unless there are further developments.
The Ridge Route itself is another issue. While the gates can be open on occasion for various reasons, the roadway is still officially closed. Once the roadway is officially open, we will make an announcement here, in addition to whatever the USFS does. As this is still the rainy season, please keep off the roadway during and after a rain storm. The roadway is fragile in places and driving it when the soils are wet can damage the roadway.
Thank you all for your continued support. We look forward to seeing you out there when we are able to hold an event again.